I was reading in the Book Of Mormon in Mosiah Chapter 7 verse 18 where I found this "yet I trust there remaineth an effectual struggle to be made."
What is an EFFECTUAL STRUGGLE? I wondered..... So I googled it and came across this Life Changing article!
"There is a profound difference between struggle and effectual struggle. I was aware of the two concepts independently of each other, but their connection and the importance of that difference became incredibly clear during an experience working with teachers.
I was at the end of day in which I had trained teachers on effective strategies to help struggling readers decode (i.e., break down and read) unfamiliar words. I moved into teaching the teachers how to help students transfer these skills to their reading, and I was introducing the concept of accountable reading. Accountable reading is the idea that once students have skills sufficient to handle unfamiliar words, they should no longer be allowed to just guess at or skip the word (or ask the teacher to give it to them). They are accountable for what they know and responsible for applying those skills to the task at hand. I offered steps to help guide a student in this process, which starts by encouraging the student to sound out the word all the way to the end a couple of times, and then if they still don’t know the word they are to apply the skills they have learned systematically. Once they apply their skills and work with the word, then they are to try and sound it out again a couple of times through. They must do all of this before they can ask a teacher for help with the word. A teacher raised her hand and asked, “So we’re just supposed to let the student struggle with the word?”
I could feel the concern in the teacher’s voice. I recognized the energy of the emotion from my own experiences, and my conditioned response—based on these experiences—came up first and I wanted to say, “No! Don’t let the poor child just struggle!” I had to stop the words in my throat before they reached my mouth. I needed to process for a moment.
In that moment of seeking clarity and truth, all the pieces that I had collected in relation to this instantaneously came together and the full picture come into view. Those moments still amaze me—moments that happen at the speed of light and yet somehow seemingly in slow motion.
Here is the truth that came from that moment of clarity:
I knew that desire to help all too well. My son, who is dyslexic, would struggle so much when we were reading when he was little. I hated seeing him struggle and I did not know at the time why he was struggling or what to do to help. I did not have the right tools to help him, so I could not give him the right tools. There was no good outcome from the struggle. It was a destructive process that only caused frustration, damaged his self-esteem, and left him feeling powerless. In that case, letting him struggle was not effective and giving him the word seemed like a great kindness. But it still left him powerless.
As understanding flooded in, I answered the teacher with great confidence, “Yes, let the student struggle. Because here is the key: The student now has the tools to work with the word so that at the end of the struggle they will feel empowered because they were able to apply skills and gain something from the process.”
When we have knowledge and tools to apply to our challenges they become effectual, because with those tools we can get to the other side with greater knowledge, confidence and experience. We will be successful when we have tools sufficient for the task at hand.
I realized why watching someone struggle who does not have the tools necessary to get through a challenge is so painful— It will not be an effectual struggle. In those moments, it is merciful to help. I realized that this is what it comes down to as a parent. When our children are struggling, we are to determine if they have the necessary tools to make this struggle constructive or if it will end up being destructive. If it is destructive, we need to step in and help. Our job is to give them as many tools as possible, so that whatever challenge comes in front of them they will have the right tools and can walk into the situation with confidence.
I believe this is one of our greatest missions on this journey of life. We are to empower ourselves with as much knowledge and as many tools possible so that whatever situation comes our way, the struggle within that experience will be effectual. And within those effectual struggles, we often gain new tools that will help us be better prepared for the next experience—more complex tools for complex challenges that yield deeper and more profound growth.
When we continually turn to others to rescue us, heal us, basically ‘give us the word,’ we are left powerless. It is simply a temporary fix that alleviates the pain of the struggle for a moment, but leaves us unprepared for everything in front of us. We often shake our fist at God for not stepping in and helping during our struggles (at least not to the level we’d like). We want the pain to stop. We want it all to be okay. In those moments, I do not believe that God is choosing to exercise His power in a cruel way, but in a beautiful way that allows us the amazing gift of discovering our own power.
It is the highest form of love—allowing another to go through the process to find their power—to allow them to struggle. That can feel ‘off’ at first, but when we understand the difference between struggle and effectual struggle, the greater purpose comes into focus and we can see what sufficient tools can build. Therein lies our power.

No comments:
Post a Comment